Monday, October 09, 2006

Trouble is my only friend

I planned to set out Sunday (8th Oct) morning to visit and photograph a family grave in Cerrigydruidion North Wales on behalf of my mother (I dont know why either!) Then over the snowdonia mountains to visit my dad and a sunday roast in Holyhead. I was set to leave about 7.30 am and found the bike had a flat battery. I think this may be a symptom of the alternator belt failure a few months ago. I havn't added anything else that would cause a drain of the battery charge. It maybe that I havn't tightened the belt correctly. It's due a service next month which includes a belt change so I'll get the tech to check it out.

Anyway after charging the battery I set off about half nine , I had about a quarter of a tank of fuel but didn't want to stop too soon in case it hadn't charged enough.

By now I was behind schedule so set off streight to Holyhead with a view to do the Cerrigydruidion run on the way back. I stopped at Chester services on the M56 to fuel up.

I had music on on the way and it wasn't until I stopped I realised the bike sounded like a bag of spanners!, On investigation I found the exhaust can was split on the hanging bracket and some of the baffle material had come out.

I improvised a temporary repair with a few cable ties.

( Click on the pics for a better view )















































I rode on to the next Texaco garage; I knew at the end of the M56; which is about 8 miles or so. When I got there the can was red hot and I didn't have much confidence in the cable ties lasting so rang my Dad to call off the visit.

I went back home and had a better look. Luckily I have the original BMW Can but couldn't get the clamp bolt off as it had seized due to the high temperatures.

I strapped the BMW can on the back and took a steady ride over to Niel's house as I had lent him my chordless Dremmel (which I thought I could cut off the nut with) The ties had melted off by the time I got there and the hole was bigger.

I tried removing the bolt with a longer ratchet and a good dose of penetrating fluid but once more the devil farts in my face. The result being I sheared the bolt off!

The can took some getting off but I managed it and fitted the standatd can with only the footrest bolt holding it in place. The clamp where the bolt sheared off is pretty stable as the can sleaves over the pipe by a few inches.

This is the state of the Remus can once the ties had come off , most of the baffle material made a bid for freedom on the M6.















So there it is , The bike is in for service next week so hopefully I can sort things out . I will have a mooch about on the internet to see if I can get a replacement can sleeve and baffle material , I may be able to repair / refurb it.

No comments: