Friday, December 21, 2007

Gibraltar Trip - DAY 8 - 22/09/07 ) St Malo to home

slept quite well on the li-lo all things considered, it was a bit short but did the job. The bin lorry came round at 6.30 am to collect from the re-cycle bin area at the shower block ... which was nice . We got up at 7.00am and were packed and ready at 8.45am.

It was only 5 miles to the ferry terminal and we were there at 9.00am. We got seperated on the entrance to the port area so the radio's came in handy again and we were shown to the front of a queue between the returning campervans etc. I took the oportunity to reset my watch and bike clock

A few pics of the port area.




The Ferry .. the clouds look ominous.

We boarded at 10.30 am and after sorting out our bikes we set up camp in the rugby salon , which was the room with the reclining night seats we had kipped on on the way down.

By now we were starving not having eaten since yesterday afternoon so we had a massive breakfast . I had 1 croissant / 1 pain au chocolat / 1 brew / 1 o-juice / 2 small rolls and butter and 1pkt 6 biscuits ( 3 to Neil ) Man I was hungry.

Last few photos as we left.





We repaired to our luxury recliners and read the papers. ( Bloody hell .. just read jose mourino has been sacked ! ) Neil bedded down as usual and crashed on the floor. He's great company ;)



He surfaced for lunch which from memory was croq monseur.

The crossing was slow so I watched a film 'Children of Men' on my Archos to pass the time and went up on deck to watch Jersey go by.

Approaching Blighty !


Portsmouth Harbour - Still very much a naval port





I don't remember the name of this ship but Mr memory will be along in a minute

Just visible is HMS Victory , she's also been to Gibraltar.



A small waving crowd gathered on the bastion.... they must have heard we were on our way back.



There is some serious kit moored up here.


Soon enough we got the call to disembark at 7.15pm and after a bit of inter-deck shuffling we found the bikes.



Looking a bit grisly having gone ferrel for the trip

Eventually we got off the boat at 7.45 pm and headed for customs.


The couple in front of me got pissed off because the officious official made them take their helmets off to check their faces against passports. Luckily we both had our flip fronts so we sailed through.

Another officious official wouldn't let us stop within the port property so we had to ride a mile or so into a trading estate to sort out our radios etc ( I hadn't had time to glove up )


Spotted this famous face moonlighting as a truck drivers mate.

We set off and Neil entered the motorway like a bat out of hell and shot between 2 cars missing by inches ! We still had what would have been a pretty long day in the saddle in normal circumstances so I had to come on all grown up and tell him to calm down. I know that most accidents happen on the last day so I took point for the ride home. Then again I hadn't been without a wife for 8 days so I can't blame him! I felt vindicated by the fact we saw 3 cop cars with victims in the first half hour !


We had over 200 miles of darkness to ride.

We stopped for fuel at 8.30 pm at Sutton Scotney ( nr winchester ) and we were getting used to riding on the right side of the road again.

We stopped again at Hilton Services and we got a hot sandwich as it was getting pretty cold by now. Nearly home.

We finally arrived at Neils house at Middlewich at 10.30 pm. I hung around outside so Neil could attend to his husbandly duties. I could hear the dogs howling their heads off when he went in. A couple of the neighbours heard the bikes and came out to say well done. Which was kind and appreciated.

Back home safe. Praiiise de lowwd.

"I've been to Gibraltar I have." ( Pleased with meself )

We had a brew and a chin wag and I buggered of home getting Rosa' locked up at 12.30am.

Not bad considering neither of us had ridden abroad before. No disasters , all obstacles overcome and home safe. What a great first euro-ride. Despite the temperatures / torrential rain / video-game night rides and huge mileages we never had a crossed word and had a great laugh all the way. I tend to be a loner by nature but it is a priviledge to have a best mate and riding partner like Neil. Nice one Chief, Now ... where to next year ?

Mileage for the day 230 - 2 hours 45 minutes of riding.

Total mileage from Home to Home - 3557

De-brief and take stock of kit to follow on the next post and an update on monies raised to Cancer research



View Larger Map

No comments: