Sunday, June 25, 2006

Trip to Truro ..Not

I was planning a trip from Leigh near Manchester to Truro in Cornwall. Approx 360 miles all in.
I set off at 4.30 am and rode round to the local garage to increase the tyre pressures to take account of the extra weight. So I set off at exactly 4.45am.


Setting off..









The trip down was great , listening to Jack Karouack's " on the road " on audiobook and enjoying the weather.
Some where just after Bodmin I noticed the Battery / ignition light on and pulled over. I left the bike running in case it wouldn't start after . It seemed to be running ok and as I was only about 20 miles from my destination I took it steady.
Soon after the bike started coughing and spluttering so I pulled into a laybye on the A30.
The time was about 10.00am and I was pissed off at being so close to Truro and breaking down.
I called the AA and gave them my location from the sat nav. The local garage attended and we found the Alernator belt had snapped. The mechanic felt the alternator nut was not turning freely and it was risky fitting a replacement belt. His job done he left.
Back on the phone to the AA I was informed thet they will only provide 1 recovery per breakdown , sos it was Truro and sort myslf out ( but I was 350 miles from home ) or get recovered back to Manchester.
No kind of choice really. The recovery truck arrived at 12.30 pm and so began the return.
Here are the pics

Broken down 10.30 am ... AA arrive 12.30











Pissed off & loading











Loaded up










Journey Home












Ahh the only way to travel...










home at 9.30pm













What a quality day out to Cornwall , 5 hours to get there , 11 to get back !
I have as yet ( Monday ) to fix the fault , advice on the www.ukger.com site is it may just be a shredded belt but could be shagged bearings in the alternator.
I hope its the cheap option.
Broke alternator cover.

No comments: